Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product from one of our links, we could receive a commission. Rest assured, we only recommend products we believe in. Learn More »
Have you recently added a new user to your Google Apps for Work account, but you misspelled her name? Or maybe you accidentally added an extra character in her email address. Luckily, there’s an easy way to rename a user in Google Apps. You can update the user’s first & last name, as well as change their email address. In this article, I’ll walk you through the steps of renaming a user in Google Apps.
Before Renaming a User in Google Apps…
…you should ask her to sign out of her account.
Ready to signup? Create your Google Apps for Work account »
Caveats to Renaming a Google Apps User
There are a few things you should keep in mind when renaming a user in your Google Apps for Work console:
- All contacts in the user’s Google Talk/Hangouts list will be removed
- Chat/Hangouts could be unavailable for up to 3 days
- It could take up to 10 minutes for the new name/email to take effect
- The current email address will automatically be turned into an alias, ensuring email deliverability for those that still send emails to the old email address
Steps to Rename a User in Google Apps
First, you’ll need to login to Google Apps for Work.
- Navigate to admin.google.com
- Login to the Admin Console (make sure you have Admin privileges)
Now let’s navigate to the users area.
- From the Home screen, click on “Users”
We need to locate the user that you want to edit.
- Scroll down your list of Google Apps users until you find the one you want to edit
- Look for the icon with three vertical dots, all the way to the right of the users name
- Clicking the icon opens up a sub-menu
- Click “Rename user”
Now, you can rename the user in Google Apps.
- Change the user’s first & last name, if applicable
- Change the user’s email address, if applicable
- Click “Rename User” at the bottom
That’s all there is to it. Obviously, it’s best to double-check all your users before adding them, but if you have to rename a user in Google Apps for Work, luckily the process is simple, and the consequences are not severe.
Need help setting up Google Apps for Work? Contact me for a free quote »