In this tutorial, we’re going to show you how to modify your DNS settings, by updating your domain’s A record with the IP address given to you by your hosting provider.
If you host your WordPress site with WP Engine, please check out our other tutorial on how to find the DNS Settings in WP Engine.
There are many different types of domain name providers to choose from, but we prefer GoDaddy because:
- they always offer excellent deals when purchasing domains
- it’s very easy to secure an available domain name of your choice
- and in our experience, we’ve always received great customer service on the phone when we’ve had a question or problem.
Changing the A Record for DNS Settings in GoDaddy
To change the A Record in the DNS settings in GoDaddy, follow these steps.
- Start by logging into GoDaddy.
- Once logged in, mouse over the “Products” tab, then click on the “Manage Now” button for “Current domain customers.”
- Click on the domain you wish to edit, then click on the “DNS Zone File” tab.
- Next, click the “Edit” button.
- Under the “A (Host)” header, click on the existing IP address for the A record, delete it, and paste in the new IP Address given to you by your hosting provider.
- Pro Tip: Leave TTL at 600 seconds. TTL stands for “Time to Live.” In reference to DNS changes, TTL is important because it’s the time that the key domain records are flushed. GoDaddy’s default TTL is 600 seconds for the A record, so every 10 minutes, the A record is flushed worldwide so that the new IP address we put in propogates and the website is pointed to the new IP address quickly.
- After you put in the new IP address, click “Save Zone File,” and click “OK” on the screen prompts to confirm the new DNS changes.
Your DNS settings for your new WordPress website have successfully been changed in GoDaddy. Please note that DNS changes can take place immediately or up to 48 hours to propagate.