If you’ve chosen WooCommerce to run your online store, it’s an excellent choice. Now you must begin your search for the best WooCommerce theme for your store.
That is likely why you landed on this page, and I’m here to make your job easier.
I’ve spent hours researching and testing out WooCommerce themes from all corners of the internet, and have compiled this list of the absolute best. Use the links below to…
- jump straight to the best
- browse a few free WooCommerce themes that we recommend
- check out other premium themes that we recommend
- or read through our FAQ to learn a little more about WooCommerce
WooCommerce Themes: Table of Contents
- 6 Best WooCommerce Themes
- Free WooCommerce Themes
- More Premium WooCommerce Themes
- WooCommerce FAQ: Questions & answers for beginners
- How to choose the best WooCommerce theme: Learn about our criteria
The 6 Best WooCommerce Themes for 2018
These are the absolute best WooCommerce themes in the world today. We thoroughly evaluated all the themes on this list, and these 6 rose to the top.
1Latest by Array Themes
Array Themes makes some of the most beautiful WordPress themes that money can buy. Their “Latest” WooCommerce theme was designed specifically for ecommerce shops, and it does not disappoint.
- Great for: Any WooCommerce shop, a magazine, food or travel blog
- Price: $49 (or $89 gets you access to 20+ of Array’s themes)
- Page Builders: Works seamlessly with any page builder, including one of our favorites, Beaver Builder
- Plugin Compatibility: Carefully crafted to work with many of the popular WordPress plugins (photo galleries, contact forms, etc.)
- Child Theme: Includes a child theme so you can make easy customizations
- Header Message: To announce sales or new products
- Menus: Use multiple menus, including icons for your social media channels, as well as a product search. Smooth animations on dropdown menus.
- Blog: 5 different layouts, including 1, 2 & 3 column styles
- Featured Section: Feature your top-selling product or a big sale with beautiful imagery and a call-to-action button, as well as your 3 most popular shopping categories. You can also feature up to 4 of your favorite blog posts.
- AJAX-powered Browsing: Quickly browse through products in different categories with beautiful animations, and no page re-loading.
Plus, Array has several themes approved for use on WordPress.com, which means their code meets the highest of standards. Check out Latest below.
2WoonderShop by Proteus Themes
ProteusThemes just released a brand new WooCommerce theme in March 2018 that is sure to impress. They are so confident in Woondershop that they have vowed to make it the last theme they ever build (and have committed to updating it regularly).
- Great for: All types of WooCommerce stores
- Price: $79 (or $149 grants you access to all 19 themes)
- Page Builders: Integrates seamlessly with SiteOrigin Page Builder
- AJAX-powered Search: Beautiful search bar in header immediately displays results with product name, image & price
- All Categories navigation, like Amazon: A category dropdown menu pops off the screen while dimming the rest of the site with an overlay
- Cross Selling: Easily show related products to cross sell
- Clean, Single-Page Checkout: Optimized checkout page with beautiful call-to-action buttons to increase conversions
- Real-time Product Filters: Quickly filter products by color, size, price and more, without the page reloading
- Newsletter Signup: Collect email addresses to use with your favorite email marketing service
- Mega Menu: Option to use a full-width mega menu with custom images
- Multiple Layouts: Create different product grids & choose from several product category page layouts
- Mobile Design is 😍! WoonderShop looks incredible on mobile devices
ProteusThemes has a proven track record of building beautiful WordPress themes, and they have done so again with Woondershop.
3Winkel by Themeum
Winkel is an absolutely gorgeous WooCommerce theme that works perfectly with the Elementor page builder. Perfect for those looking to showcase their products with striking imagery.
- Great for: Physical products, showcasing beautiful images
- Price: $69
- Page Builder: Integrated with the Elementor page builder
- Plugins: Built-in support for wishlists, currency switching & mega menus
- Cart + Checkout: Include both on a single page to streamline the user experience
- Google Fonts: Supports over 800 fonts
Winkel is one of the most polished themes that we could find. The team at Themeum paid close attention to every detail, and truly created something beautiful.
4Flatsome by UX Themes
With over 57,000 purchases to date, the Flatsome theme is the most diverse and flexible WooCommerce theme on our list. It comes with a custom page builder, in which you can design almost anything your mind can imagine. Plus, it comes packaged with 300 pre-built templates to speed up the process.
Their is more of a learning curve with Flatsome, but once you get the hang of it, your possibilities are endless. If you love to get your hands dirty, Flatsome is for you.
- Great for: Just about any ecommerce store under the sun
- Price: $59
- Page Builder: Comes with it’s own custom-built UX Builder, which includes over 300 pre-defined designs to get you started
- Google Fonts: Choose from over 700 fonts
- 8+ individual product layout options
- Mouse hover product image zoom
- “Quick view” of products can be opened in a lightbox
- Works great in catalog mode. You can collect an email address, or just show off the products if they aren’t for purchase.
- Grid, list or masonry layout for your product listings (categories)
- AJAX search shows product results instantly
- Tons of blog post layouts with a bunch of subtle hover animations to make your content pop
- Excellent documentation & training videos
I’m usually not a proponent of custom page builders being included with a theme, but this might be the exception. It’s really well done. The Flatsome theme is capable of producing almost any shop design you can think of. It’s no wonder it’s an all-time best-seller.
5Shopkeeper by Get Bowtied
The Get Bowtied team focuses exclusively on building premium WooCommerce themes. They currently make 4 themes, and Shopkeeper is their most popular with over 18,000 sales.
Shopkeeper features a bold typography, smooth animations & transitions, and tons of options for customization. If you have beautiful images, you can choose to let Shopkeeper show them off for you, or just let the bold typography speak for itself.
This is an excellent choice for just about any WooCommerce shop.
- Great for: Any WooCommerce store selling physical products
- Price: $69
- Page Builder: Comes bundled with Visual Composer
- Google Fonts: Includes over 700 fonts
- 4 different layouts for your individual product page
- Product image zoom on hover
- Beautiful transitions between pages, as well as on all interactive elements
- Custom shop pages (2-6 products per row, breadcrumbs and more)
- “Quick view” product preview in a lightbox
- Infinite scrolling, “load more,” and classic pagination options
- Light vs. Dark color customization options
- Tons of customization for your shop’s header
- Over 100 articles in their online documentation
It’s really hard to find any downsides to using Shopkeeper. Beautiful imagery, typography & animations make this an excellent choice for just about any WooCommerce store.
6Porto by SW Themes
The Porto theme is one of the most popular WooCommerce themes on ThemeForest with over 14,000 sales and a 4.85/5.00 rating with over 1,300 reviews. It’s hard to ignore a theme like Porto with that much validation behind it.
Porto is incredibly versatile, offering tons of customization options for your header, sidebars and category page layouts. They provide over 30 homepage layouts, all with a unique style to fit your business.
- Great for: Any WooCommerce store selling physical products
- Price: $39 (for a limited time), regularly $59-$69
- Page Builder: Comes bundled with Visual Composer & Slider Revolution
- Versatile: 30 pre-built homepage layouts & demos to quickly get started
- Compatibility: Compatible with many plugins, including Yoast SEO, bbPress, BuddyPress, as well as several multilingual & currency plugins
- Tons of layout options for your headers, sidebars & category pages
- Customizable mega menus built-in
- Quickly switch between light or dark, boxed or wide designs
- Product image zoom on hover
- Supports wishlist, AJAX search & product filtering
- “Quick view” product preview in a lightbox
Porto is incredibly versatile. You can create a wide variety of WooCommerce shop designs that accommodate many styles.
The Best Free WooCommerce Themes
High-quality, free WooCommerce themes are hard to come by. The truth is, using WooCommerce greatly increases the complexity of a website. There are many aspects of a WooCommerce site that a theme needs to account for, and this is no easy task.
Many free WordPress themes will say they’re built for WooCommerce, but only contain some level of compatibility. Others try to upsell you on the premium version to get the full range of benefits.
Our list of free WooCommerce themes is limited, but we will give you a few that pass our test.
1Astra (Free) by Brainstorm Force
You can use Astra for free, or upgrade to their premium version for $59. But even the free version comes beautifully designed for WooCommerce, and provides more options than most other free WooCommerce themes.
You could definitely start with the free version, and if you find yourself looking for additional customization, simply upgrade to Astra Pro.
- Great for: Any WooCommerce store
- Price: Free (optional upgrades)
- Page Builders: Astra was specifically designed to work with all page builders, so you have complete freedom over your design
- Pre-built Templates: Start with a pre-built WooCommerce template using the free Astra Starter Sites plugin (requires Elementor or Beaver Builder page builder to be installed)
- Performance: One of the fastest WordPress themes on the market
- Products Display: Customize the visibility & order of your product title, price, category, ratings, add to cart button, products per page (and per row)
- Swap Image on Hover: Hover animation displays second product image
- Dropdown Cart: Add a cart icon to your header, which displays a nice dropdown animation of your cart’s contents
- WooCommerce-specific Sidebars: Add widgets to your single product pages and your main shop page
- Header/Footer: A few different layouts to choose from
- Widgets: 10 widget-ready areas to include sidebar widgets
For beginner WooCommerce stores, the free version of Astra provides enough features to launch your initial site. You might want to upgrade once you start selling product, but this theme is a perfect place to start.
2Storefront by WooCommerce
Storefront is the official theme developed by the team at WooCommerce. It was built for speed, compatibility and extensibility. If you’re looking for a super-clean, no bells and whistles WooCommerce theme that just works, this is the one.
- Great for: Any WooCommerce shop
- Price: Free (optional upgrades)
- Page Builders: Works seamlessly with page builders, including Beaver Builder, SiteOrigin’s PageBuilder and Visual Composer.
- Child Themes: 2 official, free child themes, as well as a dozen more suited for bookshops, toyshops, department stores, stationery, and more. $39/ea.
- Extensions: A handful of free extensions to do more with your store, or buy the entire bundle ($69) for complete site customization & control.
- Schema Markup: For improved SEO performance
- Accessibility: Adheres to wordpress.org’s strict accessibility requirements
- Menus: Supports 2 main menus; one for shop/products, and another for account/cart/secondary links.
Storefront’s free extensions include an extra footer widget, product sharing, a sticky add-to-cart button, contact form on homepage and hamburger menu.
More Premium WooCommerce Themes
The absolute best premium WooCommerce themes were listed in our roundup above, but here’s a list of some others you might want to consider. These are all good WooCommerce themes that we recommend, but just not quite as well-rounded as our top recommendations.
1Webmarket by ProteusThemes
Webmarket is another beautifully designed theme that comes bundled with just enough features to enhance your store, without adding too much to slow it down.
- Great for: WooCommerce shops selling physical goods
- Price: $199
- Widgets: Includes 8 ecommerce-specific widgets
- Menus: Well-designed top navigation with search bar
- Icons: Over 300 icons, including Font Awesome
- Blog: The blog layout options are a bit limited
Check back in July 2018 as we will update this section with more premium WooCommerce themes worth checking out.
WooCommerce Themes FAQ
The following is a list of questions & answers for folks just getting started with WooCommerce. If you have a question not listed below, please leave us a comment and we’ll gladly provide you with an answer.
What is WooCommerce?
WooCommerce is a WordPress plugin that helps convert your website into an online store. You can sell physical goods, digital products, or set up a site to promote products from another website.
For more background & history, read What is WooCommerce?
After installing the WooCommerce plugin, you should look for a WordPress theme that fully supports WooCommerce.
How to install a WooCommerce theme?
Installing a WooCommerce theme is no different than installing a regular WordPress theme.
- Download the WooCommerce theme
- Locate the theme’s
- Navigate to your WordPress admin area
- Go to Appearance > Themes and click Add New
- Click Upload Theme
- Click Choose File, select the theme
.zipfile, and then click Install Now
Before you activate your theme, make sure you have installed & set up the WooCommerce plugin.
What’s the difference between a WooCommerce theme vs. a regular WordPress theme?
The main difference between a WooCommerce theme & a WordPress theme is that a WooCommerce theme works seamlessly with the WooCommerce plugin. Many WooCommerce themes also provide additional features that only apply to online stores built using WooCommerce.
A regular WordPress theme does not provide support for WooCommerce, and is not to be used for creating an online store.
How much do WooCommerce themes cost?
Most WooCommerce themes cost between $39-$99 USD one-time fee. You can download some themes for free, but these are usually not as high quality, or don’t come with as many features. Some WooCommerce themes cost as much as $200.
How do I customize my WooCommerce theme?
You can customize most WooCommerce themes by using the built-in WordPress Customizer. This allows you to choose various layout options, colors, fonts, icons & more. You can also add custom CSS using the Customizer.
To make large, sweeping changes to your WooCommerce theme, you should create a child theme.
Some themes also provide support for WordPress page builder plugins (like Beaver Builder & Visual Composer), in which case you could use them to create custom page layouts.
Looking for a WooCommerce theme like Amazon?
We don’t have any recommendations (yet) for a WooCommerce theme that provides all the same functionality as Amazon.com, but if you’re an Amazon affiliate, check out the AAWP plugin.
What’s the difference between a WooCommerce theme & plugin?
WooCommerce itself is a plugin. There are also many WooCommerce plugins that add even more features to your online store. Plugins almost always add functionality to your shop, whereas WooCommerce themes control the layout & design.
A WooCommerce theme is a necessary component to running a WooCommerce-powered online store. WooCommerce plugins are optional, depending on the features that your site requires.
How to choose the best WooCommerce theme? Our Criteria
Choosing the best WooCommerce theme for your online store will require some research. We tried to make things easier for you with this article, but you’ll still need to test them out for yourself.
Here is a list of the main criteria you should consider when choosing a WooCommerce theme for your business.
- Was the theme built by a reputable author?
- Does the theme have a responsive design?
- Did the author include styles for every aspect of the theme?
- Can the theme be customized easily?
- Is the theme compatible with other plugins & page builders?
- Does the theme support selling physical and/or digital products?
Was the WooCommerce theme built by a well-respected theme developer or company? Is there an easy way to access support?
Do a little research by googling the theme name and the theme author/company.
Every WooCommerce theme needs to look great on all screen sizes (desktop, tablet & mobile). If the theme provides a live demo, check it out on your phone.
Chances are, if you don’t find the theme easy to use on your phone, your potential customers won’t either.
03Attention to Detail
With any ecommerce site, there are many styles that need to be accounted for. You should check to see if the theme has truly styled all parts of a WooCommerce shop (product pages, categories, cart, checkout page, etc.).
04Theme Options & Customization
Does the WooCommerce theme allow you to customize it? Do they use the built-in WordPress Customizer, or a less-desirable custom solution?
Not all themes provide access to the backend until after you purchase them, but you can reach out to the author and ask to see all of the customization options. Don’t be afraid to ask how easy it is to create a child theme or override CSS.
05Plugin & Page Builder Compatibility
Does the theme play nice with popular WordPress plugins? This is especially important if you plan to add more functionality to your theme through the use of plugins, such as bbPress, BuddyPress and others.
Also, will the theme support the use of your favorite page builder? Most themes will provide a few different layouts for specific shop pages, but when you want to create a custom landing page, you’ll likely turn to a page builder. There are specific things a theme developer can do to make it easier to work with custom page builders.
Ask about compatibility with Beaver Builder & Elementor.
06Physical vs. Digital Products
Are you selling one, the other, or both? Whatever type of products you decide to sell, make sure your theme supports it. Not all WooCommerce themes will handle digital products the same way. And some might have extra features built in specifically for physical goods.
I hope you found this WooCommerce theme roundup helpful. If you have any questions about choosing the right theme for your site, or have used any awesome themes not on this list, please let me know in the comments.